My Own Personal Cinema
This is where I'll be reviewing films I've seen, both newer and ones from couple of years ago. This is because even though I make time to go to the cinema, I have a stack of DVDs wondering when I'll pick them up. Yep, I'm almost certain my DVD pile judges me as much as my book pile.
My second film review is going to be on ‘Fantastic Beasts’, but quite short. The film, and the book it’s based on, is a spin-off of the Harry Potter books. I missed it at cinemas and a friend lent me her DVD copy, so I finally watched it in early June 2017. I haven’t read the book either, so went in only knowing the very basics.
I think it really stayed true to the whole magical thrill aspect that happen so much in the HP films. The characters were all really well developed and fit together well with a big, twisting arc that made a great story.
The creatures were all amazing, with brilliant CGI but I think my favourite was Frank. I loved how something of that size and beauty could be named something as simple as Frank (But then, we did get Fluffy.). :) I was also fond of the niffler, mostly because it was attracted to shiny things. How can I not relate to that?!
The score was great and composed by James Newton Howard. He’s done some really good scores in the past for films I’m a fan of, so it was nice to see his name attached to something else in the same way.
I did think some part were quite dark though and a bit of a surprise to how I thought they would turn out. I thought everything to with the orphanage was perhaps a bit extreme, as did a few other people I know, but that’s just personal opinion, I guess.
That aside, overall, I really enjoyed it. My review- 4 out of 5 stars.
Thanks for reading. All the best.
Hi again. This time is a film review, for Marvel’s 'Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2', which came out in UK cinemas at the end of April. I saw it twice at the cinema and it’s really good!
I was late to the Marvel films, as I wasn’t sure I’d like them all. I only started watching them in late 2014, but thankfully was proved wrong and got caught up quickly. I’m still behind on the TV series though for now.
As I don’t want to give away spoilers of the film, I’ll list my main favourite points and the one bad point I found- which may or may not actually be a bad point, depending on how you look at it.
1. Baby Groot is adorable. I think I prefer him over adult Groot.
2. Drax got more screen time. He had some hilarious lines again.
3. A mixture of old and new characters. They were all great.
4. I think I would be friends with mantis, if she were real.
5. Elizabeth Debicki plays one of the new characters and was amazing (as she always is).
6. Some family issues were resolved…in various ways.
7. The music was fun, which just adds onto the soundtrack from the first film, which I loved.
8. So many colours. Visually, it was really pretty.
9. Stan Lee’s cameos (one in the end credits) that connect with his Civil War cameo.
10. There are several end credit scenes and they all tie into the next Guardians film somehow.
1. It made me cry. I’m sure it made everyone cry. At least, the people I’ve spoken to did.
My rating: 4 ½ out of 5 stars.
Until then, all the best. Have a nice day.
Hi, I'm an animal lover and have a degree. You can usually find me either reading or writing. Failing that, I might have actually ventured into the outside world...